Saturday, July 19, 2014

2014 Summer Vacation - June 25 to 28 - Castlegar, Grand Forks and Creston

These posts detail the birds seen while visiting my sister Patty in Grand Forks. There was only a bit of time for birding, but there was one really good outing.

June 25 - Grand Forks, BC

While watching my sister's grandson Alexi doing some BMX racing, I took this photo. Although it's only a crow, it is an American Crow. This is slightly different from the Northwestern Crow that we get in the Pacific Northwest. The differences in the two species are very subtle: American is slightly bigger and has a hoarser caw. The best indicator is range, the Northwestern is not seen much further east than Hope, possibly Merritt.
























American Crow - Grand Forks BC


June 26 -  Near Castlegar, BC

We had some car problems with our air conditioner on our drive to Grand Forks, so I had to take it to Castlegar which had the nearest Honda dealer. Fortunately the work was done under warranty. On my way back to Grand Forks, I stopped at the rest area near the Paulson Pass summit, elevation 1446 metres. I hoped to see some high altitude birds there, but this is the only one I saw. Not the greatest photo, but always a nice bird.


Yellow-rumped Warbler - Paulson Summit near Castlegar BC

June 27 -  Ward's Lake, Grand Forks BC

Grand Forks has very few dedicated bird watching locations, Ward's Lake is one of them. It is quite close to my sister's place and is right off the North Fork road. The lake is not accessible, but the ducks and grebes can be seen with binoculars or scope. However, the trees and bushes above the lake proved to be very good for song birds. I've included one or two photos of each bird I saw.













American Goldfinch

 Willow Flycatcher


 Rufous Hummingbird (Female)

























Yellow Warbler (originally posted as Orange-crowned)



Gray Catbird



American Robin

























Yellow Warbler



Cedar Waxwing



Downy Woodpecker



















Lazuli Bunting


























American Coot Chick and Parent

June 25 - Creston Wildlife Centre, Creston BC

We always stop here whenever we travel to or from Alberta on the Crowsnest Highway #3. I never have as much time to bird here as I would like, and have had terrible luck with weather as well. It was raining on and off on this day. I managed to see a couple of birds while Edith and Austin spent time in the gift shop.


Yellow Warbler, Creston BC (originally posted as Orange-crowned)

























Tree Swallow, Creston BC

After Creston, we were soon in Alberta. The next post will detail birds seen in Calgary.





No comments:

Post a Comment